TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2020
ON TRUMP’S 1313th DAY IN OFFICE
SCHEDULE CHANGE FOR THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION
Gotta love this story – It has everything – religious hypocrisy, weird sex, political shenanigans, blackmail, Republican family values, current politics, Trump’s lawyer and of course, Trump himself. For our political junkie like Cincy Dave, it doesn’t get any better than this.
After resigning as president of Liberty University and then un-resigning, Falwell resigned again. Will he stay resigned this time?
Falwell stated that the story about him watching while his wife did the nasty with the pool guy was “90% false”. We’re still trying to figure out how it could only be 10% true. Did he only watch 10% of the time? What was he doing for the other 90%?
Falwell Saga Grows More Sordid…Maybe a Lot More
The drama surrounding Jerry Falwell Jr., who may be Donald Trump’s most prominent evangelical supporter, continues to grow. It was reported on Monday that Falwell’s suspension from the presidency of Liberty University had turned into a resignation. Then Falwell declared he hadn’t resigned at all. Then it was reported that he had resigned but then changed his mind. If that is true, it seems unlikely that the university’s board of regents will turn down the “get out of Falwell’s contract for free” card they were given, and that they will not allow him to recant. Time will tell.
Meanwhile, more details about Falwell’s recent meltdown continue to present themselves. On Monday, he conceded that his wife had “an affair” and that there was blackmail involved. On Tuesday, Reuters reported that the truth is that Falwell liked to watch while his wife had relations with their friend, former pool boy, now business partner, Giancarlo Granda. There is nothing wrong with this; what consenting adults do in private is their own business. However, it does run entirely contrary to Falwell’s public persona, along with his willingness to weigh in on the sexual morés of others.
It gets seamier. It was already known that Donald Trump fixer Michael Cohen helped Falwell reacquire some “racy” photos that were being used for blackmail purposes. It’s not too hard to leap to the conclusion that the photos in question were held by Granda (or, possibly, some other paramour with whom the Falwells had a relationship). And it’s not too far a leap from there to suspect, as some already do, that a photos-for-your-hearty-endorsement deal was struck in 2016.
This is not proof, of course. However, in an interesting coincidence that might prove to be not-so-coincidental, the company that owns the National Enquirer forced out CEO David Pecker this weekend. Pecker was also a dealer in blackmail-type documents of interest to Trump, acquiring them and keeping them in his personal safe, and undoubtedly dealt with Cohen many times. Add it all up, and all of this movement may be an early indication that Cohen’s book, Disloyal: A Memoir: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump could be a barnburner that scorches many, many people, and possibly even damages the President. We will find out when the book drops early next month (Sept. 8)